Sunday, February 03, 2008

Unfinished Thoughts

Random Questions

The Word

“There's too much beauty upon this earth for lonely men to bear.”
Richard Le Gallienne (1866 – 1947)

And its Echo

“Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world I feel like I can't take it, like my heart's going to cave in.”
Ricky Fitts – American Beauty (1999)

“…but it's hard to stay mad, when there's so much beauty in the world. Sometimes I feel like I'm seeing it all at once, and it's too much, my heart fills up like a balloon that's about to burst... And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it …”
Lester Burnham – American Beauty (1999)

How original can our thoughts and expressions be when they are frequently uttered by other people? Sadly personal experience can never become part of our collective memory, which means our endeavors are absolutely futile as we struggle hard just to reach a point others have passed ages ago.



“Was it simply the hysteria of a man who, aware deep down of his inaptitude of love, felt the self deluding need to simulate it?”
Milan Kundera – The Unbearable Lightness of Being

“It is alright for people to pretend that love breeds love, but it is not so, the seed of love is indifference.”
Waguih Ghali – Beer in the Snooker Club

How can someone’s life be depicted so perfectly in a novel that he reads? Have we really become “Fictitious Characters” trying our best not to disappoint the authors? Are we really actors on a stage who have lost their touch with reality and are simply performing predictable and predetermined roles without any ability or desire to improvise? We go through our lives trying so hard to imitate an image someone else has drawn in our minds, and we remain so faithful to this image that we become convinced of the originality of our own actions and the fakeness of everyone else’s, when in fact we are all the same.

-----------

Another Helen

She was too afraid of Death, or too attached to Life perhaps, I could never tell the difference due to my total lack of experience. Whatever it was, it made her appreciate every passing second and hold on to it much harder than the rest of us did, trying to squeeze the essence of life out of each moment. Her gestures and reactions were exaggerated and her feelings were magnified beyond my capacity of comprehension. For me she was the embodiment of passion, a sea Goddess on land, turbulent and unsettled,and I knew for certain that my ships can never be able to weather such a storm.

-----------

Butterfly

-- The most absurd laws of physics lie in the field of electromagnetics. With these laws man can prove that Light + Light = Darkness. I have never really given it much thought until I realized recently that the laws of Life are not so different, when I was able to experience how combining “Lightness” unexpectedly yields "Heaviness” --

She flew by as I sat silently watching, so light, so beautiful. And I had no choice but to follow. At first, she didn’t seem to notice me, and later on when she did she didn’t seem to mind. I started getting closer and closer; trying to figure out the source of that amazing power of attraction that she had, but I couldn’t. Was it the way she moved around so lightly, completely self absorbed in a way that left the entire world struggling for a piece of her attention? No, it was something else, fresh and new to my ever contemplating, curious little mind. In a desperate move, I reached out and tried to catch her, and to my surprise I succeeded. I knew that there was no point in holding on, for her secret was locked beyond my limited dimensions. Still, I really wanted to learn how to fly; and I thought she might be able to infect me with the lightness she possessed.

But, I was wrong. Within my hands she grew heavier, and my heart grew heavy with her. Eventually, I had to let go. And as soon as I did, she fled away, filled with fear and confusion. I stood there for a second, fixed with heaviness caused by the lightness of my actions, but once again I had no choice but to follow her. It wasn’t long before I got her cornered, and she stood there armless and confused, unable to fully comprehend the reason behind my actions. For a moment or so, I sat silently watching, and then I had no choice but to retreat. I had won, yet my victory was much worse than any defeat, for it brought about a tremendous amount of guilt that I never experienced before, and from that moment on, I could only watch from a distance.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

well, i think you should stay away from the storm , no matter what!

9:55 AM  
Blogger Lara said...

Butterfly in the middle of winter! you must be living in another city than I am man.

I don't get all the fuss of american beauty, i know the movie won an oscar but I just don't find it wise at all.......

10:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home