Monday, December 10, 2007

Ugliness

It’s the dawn of the sixth day; the Universe is already created and done with, yet God remains restless on his throne. It’s his greatest achievement so far, but the stupefied gazes of the archangels are not enough to satisfy his ego. He needs a fresh pair of eyes to stare in amazement at his work, a limited mind to be astonished by his powers, senses that are still raw and pure to be raped by his marvelous creation. So… Adam comes to be.

Adam is created. He opens his eyes for the very first time, takes one look at the vast universe that stretches before him and starts screaming madly. God is disappointed; this is not the outcome he expected. He walks away leaving his servants behind to deal with the new creature. The wretched Adam is now shrieking in a voice that deafens demons in the deepest pits of Hell. He is tormented by the tremendous sight that is burned forever in his memory. The angels are barely able to stop him from gouging out his own eyes. They have no idea how to handle the situation, so they decide to tie him up and sedate him with alcohol until they figure out what to do. Finally, they come up with a solution; they veil the universe, disguising the horrendous details which God had put so much effort in creating. The angels are unaware that Adam, drenched in alcohol, can still see beyond their cover. Yet as he sobers up, reality starts fading away, and the world becomes slightly less intimidating, almost livable.

A few thousand or a few million years later, I’m sitting at a bar with some friends. I already had four drinks and was feeling a bit tipsy but still felt compelled to mock one of my friends for his extremely low alcohol tolerance. He decides to teach me a lesson; so he walks to the bar and comes back with a huge glass of the devil’s own cocktail, that radiating electric blue. Halfway through it, I’m already more drunk than I have ever been in my entire life. Then, something weird happens. I start seeing things differently and the almost familiar surroundings suddenly become alien to me. In a few seconds, I see the universe as it was created; Adam’s memory is brought back to life in front of me. Like a newborn I discover the world for the very first time, examining the tiny little details hidden in every corner. I stare at the moon, the sky, the stars, the walls, the streets, the tables, the people and a terrified cry almost escapes from my mouth. Suicidal thoughts run rapidly through my head, but alcohol stops them from taking shape. The world is too much for me to handle, and intolerable pain rips me apart as I realize that there’s nothing that I can do about it. Defeated, frustrated and isolated, I raise my eyes to meet God’s mocking gaze and ask him:

“Why does everything have to be so damn UGLY?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

F you.
Next time when you see adam, ask him about love. Exist?

8:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

because beauty is in the eye of the beholder my friend...

1:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Because we are not Gods; apparently we have different tastes. He or They envy their creations for being created so faulty and we strive to make our creator/s look like they are not flawed.

11:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home